To celebrate Valentine’s Day, BirdLife South Africa’s members are being offered a chance to win a mid-week break for six people at the stunning self-catering Crab Apple Cottages. Known for being a birder haven, it is the perfect spot to relax and twitch. This prize is valued at R13 200!
To enter, email membership at firstname.lastname@example.org with your best photo of “birds in love”, along with your current membership number. Winners will be announced on 28 February 2017.
Delightfully comfortable, Crab Apple’s AA Superior Cottages are set on the edge of the Kilgobbin Forest and the Dargle Valley Conservancy. With over 200 bird species recorded in the Dargle (including the Cape Parrot, Starred Robin, Crowned Eagle, Narina Trogan and Knysna Turaco) they are a birder’s paradise. Should you visit in summer, you may glimpse a pair of Yellow Billed Kites who migrate annually from Central Africa to Dargle.
It was at this very spot that Austin Roberts spent school holidays and it inspired his fascination with birds. You can explore the same paths and enjoy the same birdlife that he did all those years ago. The Oatley Hide (named with Terry’s permission) is positioned so you can take in the bird life at a gentler pace. Generations of visitors have experienced the soul restoring reassurance that comes with being surrounded by the beauty of creation. The forest is filled with ancient trees, birds and animals including: porcupine, caracal, bushbuck, bush pigs, blue duiker and genets.
When you are not twitching you can retreat to one of our three thatched, self-catering cottages each with its own unique character and furnished with every comfort. The bedroom has a queen-sized bed and there is an antique cast iron Victorian tub and shower in the en-suite bathroom. The heated pool, braai and entertainment area are available for you to use. Fur-children are permitted by arrangement.
Terms and conditions:
- The competition is open to current paid-up members of BirdLife South Africa only (not direct subscribers).
- Prize: One midweek break away for four nights for 6 people in three self-catering cottages (2 people per cottage). The prize cannot be split and is subject to
availability. Check in will be on a Monday from 2pm and check out will be the Friday before 10am.
- To enter the competition, members must send a photo of wild birds looking lovey “love doves” (no people in the photos please).
- Photos must be sent via email to email@example.com
- Only 1 entry per member, with the paid-up membership number as your reference.
- Competition runs from 14 - 21 February 2017.
- Closing date for entries will be 21 February 2017. Not further entries will be permitted after the closing date.
- The lucky winner will be notified by e-mail on 28 February 2017.
- The winner will also be announced on Facebook.
- Winner will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by BirdLife South Africa and their decision is final. No correspondence will be entered in to.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered and the prize is not transferable.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- BirdLife South Africa and Crab Apple Cottages will not cover transportation costs to or from Crab Tree Cottages. The winner is fully responsible for their own meals and transportation costs to or from Crab Tree Cottages, regardless of where in South Africa they are located.
- The winner must claim their prize by 31 December 2017
- Employees of BirdLife South Africa or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.